All Baker Hill Golf Club employees are eligible to apply for the Alex Gissler Memorial Scholarship and the McDonough Scholarship after committing to return for a second year of employment. Please go to the McDonough Scholarship website to fill out an application online (www.mcdonoughgolf.com). If you have any questions, please see either Jenny Reks or Mark Ashton.
The Alex Gissler Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship is endowed by the Members of Baker Hill Golf Club in his memory. Alex is remembered as an outstanding young man and loyal employee. Alex's memorial scholarship is awarded annually to a deserving young man or woman employed at Baker Hill Golf Club.
Baker Hill's Addyson "Addy" Stadler is the 2023-24 recipient of the Gissler Award. Addy is majoring in Civil Engineering at Merrimack College, Class of 2026.
Requirements for McDonough Scholars
Any student employee, male or female of a New Hampshire golf course or club is eligible to apply for a scholarship. Candidates should require financial assistance, as well as demonstrating the promise of academic success and good character. Once awarded, a McDonough Scholarship may be renewed each year for a total of four years to the bachelor degree level. Annual grants are renewable, upon application, depending the continued need for financial aid, as well as maintaining academic standards. All candidates must be recommended by the golf club where they are in at least their second year of employment.
All scholarship applications must be submitted via the "apply" link on the McDonough website (www.mcdonoughgolf.com). Submission of applications and all required supporting documentation must be received by 11:59 EDT on May 15 each year to be considered eligible for an award for the upcoming academic year.
McDonough Scholarship Committee
61 North Street Manchester, NH 03104
Did You Know?
- The McDonough Foundation is a volunteer organization whose sole mission is to provide scholarships to young men and women employed at New Hampshire golf courses. The Foundation solicits monies on an annual basis in support of this mission and is a 501 (c)(3) not-for profit organization. The Foundation's Federal Tax ID# is 02-6012491.
- The Richard D. McDonough Caddie Scholarship Foundation was established in 1955 to award college scholarships to caddies who worked at New Hampshire golf clubs. In its first year of operation, the Foundation granted two scholarships totaling $1,000. The Foundation expanded its mission to aid young people to include any employee, male or female, of a New Hampshire golf course and changed its name to the Richard D. McDonough Golf Scholarship Foundation.
- The McDonough Foundation awarded $160,150 in scholarship grants for the academic year 2023-24 to 96 young men and women employed at 34 New Hampshire golf courses. This year's scholars are attending 60 colleges and universities throughout the country. With these most recent grants, the Foundation has now awarded over $3.3 million since the inception of the scholarship program in 1955.
- In April 2000, the McDonough Foundation announced the creation of The McDonough Permanent Fund. The purpose of this endowment fund was to position the Foundation to be able to increase the scholarships available to the individuals eligible for awards. To date, the Permanent Fund consists of twenty-four endowed scholarships, including Baker Hill's Alex Gissler Scholarship. The Permanent Fund portfolio of endowed scholarships is currently valued at over $1,000,000.
- In addition to the twenty-four endowed scholarships indicated above, four additional named un-endowed scholarships are funded on an annual basis.
- The Foundation relies on the generosity of country clubs and golf courses throughout the state to help fund our annual scholarships via direct billing and "bag-tag" programs, as well as donations from several golf-related associations such as New Hampshire Golf Association, New Hampshire Senior Golf Association, New England Senior Golf Association, and NH Profile Senior Golf Association. The Foundation also holds a benefit golf tournament and online auction to raise additional funds each year. Other sources of income to the foundation include corporate, individual and memorial donations.
- The McDonough Foundation is an equal opportunity scholarship program and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, age, ethnic origin, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.
- For 2023-24, the following Baker Hill employee applied for and received McDonough Scholarship grant: Addyson "Addy" Stadler.